How to get rid of mold:"I WAS TOLD TO USE BLEACH ON IT"

image165

WHAT DOES THE BOTTLE SAY?

 The bottle says it can be used to kill mold/ black mold on "hard non-porous surfaces/ materials only."  Hard non-porous surfaces are metal, glass, plastics, etc.  The label on the bottle also states to dilute the bleach with water. 

 

Here are the instructions: (We have underlined and put important information in bold)

See below the instructions from our EPA Master Label for mold/mildew removal using Clorox® Regular-Bleach.

1. Make a solution of 3/4 cup Clorox® Regular-Bleach per gallon of warm water (2700ppm available chlorine solution) – best practices are to always pre-clean the surfaces of any visible material. 
2. Mix the bleach solution using your gloved hands and apply to the affected area with a sponge or brush.
3. Allow it to sit in contact with the mildew for 5 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Allow to air dry.
Read more at https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/getting-rid-of-moldmildew-on-walls/#1gyvUOR3erP2kyVt.99}

SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

 

How to get rid of mold with bleach. OK. here are the problems:

1. If you are pre-cleaning the black mold from surface you are disturbing the colony (spore release).  Remember it is for hard non-porous surfaces only. Not drywall, wallpaper, wood... etc.

2. To make the solution you are using water.  This is the main ingredient mold needs to grow.  Now you are going to use a sponge or brush to wipe (smear) on the affected area. Did we kill mold yet?

3. Nope.I don't know if you have ever had experimented with getting drywall wet, but the instructions say you have to keep this solution in contact with the mold for 5 minutes. Most porous surfaces will turn to goo in this time.

4. Wait, it gets better, now you rinse with warm water. and allow to air dry.

Save yourself the bleach vapors; Call Us 405-627-7729 for all your Mold Questions!  Oklahoma City, Lawton, & Tulsa  


FAQs

 

 Here is the "mold science" for why this simple way of "how to get rid of mold/ black mold/ kill mold" will not work.  

FACT: Bleach evaporates faster than water.  

FACT:The Bleach will kill the mold it comes in contact with.  

FACT: The water will soak into the porous material.  You now have a wet food source.    

HERE'S WHY IT WON'T WORK:  Try to think of mold as a plant (because it basically is.) it has a root system that is in the pores of the materials/ surface. The bleach kills the top part and the water spreads out and now your little bit of mold is now a bigger problem with a clean swipe in the middle.  $350 for 3 samples. Call us today 405-627-7729 Oklahoma City, Lawton, & Tulsa